Monday, March 10, 2014

Not All Angels Have Wings... Some Have Wheelchairs

Every time I see a special child, something in my mind pushes me to approach the child and just say "hi" and if I can, to meet the parents. I'm always drawn to them for a lot of reasons. Maybe it's my therapy - my own way of helping myself see that I am not alone and that there are other moms out there who are with me in this journey.







Joyce 

Some time in 2009, during one of our visits to the neurologist, I met Joyce. She was 13 years old at that time. She has cerebral palsy. Sitting on a wheelchair and accompanied by her family, she was also there for her regular visit to the neurologist. From her involuntary movements and slight muscular spasticity, I can tell that she has athetoid CP. Since we were seated in the same corner of the reception area, I made the move to talk to them. Being a certified "ma-chika", it wasn't hard for me at all to ask about Joyce and to introduce Gabriel to them as well. I was so certain that they would oblige because they all looked so warm and pleasant. 


Joyce's family is so supportive of her and I can see that she is well taken care of. They even teach her how to walk even with maximum support while waiting for their turn to walk into the clinic. Every shaky and uncoordinated step that Joyce made brought smiles to their faces, it's as if something is telling them that nothing is impossible. I can also remember what her father told me which made me cry so much right in front of them. "They were entrusted to us because God knows that we will take good care of them. They are not supposed to be in the hands of bad and neglectful parents". 

And then I cried... in front of them. I just couldn't help it.


Another Grand-Slam dramatic performance by me in front of people I just met.
I hate myself for being such a cry-mama.

Yohan

I met Yohan about 3 years ago. He is the only son of my husband's friend from work. He was 2 or 3 years old when I first met him. His dad brought him to our house so he can meet our Gabriel. Yohan has the face of an angel. His smiles were so contagious, such a happy baby. Yohan, just like Joyce, has cerebral palsy. The only difference is that Yohan, in my impression, seems to have Cerebral Palsy Spastic Quadriplegia. 

Yohan is such a cute little boy who smiles a lot. He also loves the outdoors and hates sitting in a stroller. He was tube-fed and was also on anti-seizure medications. Talking to his parents is much like "comparing notes" on how to properly administer medications - things like that. Conversations go around on topics such as how we're handling doctor's advice concerning seizure control and how to prevent secondary complications. 



Aside from his big smile and innocent look, there is one thing I remember so well about Yohan...

As if on cue, Yohan cries every time this song is sung to him; "Always keep a little pray'r in your pocket, and you're sure to see the light. Soon there'll be joy and happiness, and your little world will be brighter... Don't cry little one..." 

It's as if he understands and feels the sadness of the song.


Pico

Pico is an 11-year old boy my husband and I recently met in a mall. We were walking along a toy store when we saw this young boy sitting on his wheelchair, complete with head support. His soft features were somewhat similar to that of Gabriel's - wide eyes, cute nose, black hair, long limbs. Perhaps that was what drew us to him. We saw Gabriel in him. 



There was also something really special about Pico - his charm? charisma? I can't explain. The sight of him was enough to make my heart melt. He looked so calm and gentle and fragile, he looked like an angel and I just wanted to hug him. 

Our intention was to simply ask about his mobility chair since we knew that eventually, Gabriel might need a similar product. We ended up having quite a long conversation with his parents who entertained our questions and shared snippets of Pico's daily routine with us. Pico's parents were so insightful and generous enough to give us advise. They even shared some personal details to us... they never treated us as strangers. 

Their advise was; we should not be afraid to have another child. In fact, we should start thinking about having one. 

So,they actually encouraged us to have another child. (Honestly, at this point, I'm not brave enough to decide on that)

Pico is their eldest. At some point, they also had second thoughts about having another child because of Pico's condition. Then finally came the decision to have that second child. It took them 9 years. So aside from Pico, they have another 2-year old son, running around the mall and is perfectly healthy and normal. Pico and his brother are 9 years apart. The way I see them, they are such an inspiring family and I can feel that they are good people, too.

I just wish I have the same courage.


Easier said than done...


Like my Gabriel, Joyce, Yohan and Pico are also fighters, blessings and angels rolled into one. They are special... and their ability to love is boundless. Each of them had been gifted with a heart that is so pure - incapable of inflicting negativity in this world.

Looking through their eyes, there is nothing but pure innocence and genuine love. And even though, I have a handful of questions and a pocket full of thoughts addressed to God, life goes on for us and our little angel. We will take care of him.

I know it's cliche but I'll write it anyway. "I love you, Gabriel...to the moon and back, a million times over, and more".



No comments:

Post a Comment